Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is so fun and easy to make. Its really delicious. Its great to take to a potluck and is sure to be gobbled up but can also be scaled down for an easy family meal.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages taco seasoning mix
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 18 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- guacamole, whatever you like
- Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, then season with taco seasoning, garlic, cayenne pepper, chili powder and water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place 6 tortillas into the prepared baking dish.
- Spread 1/3 of the salsa on top of the tortillas.
- Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture evenly over the salsa.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of the green onions.
- Drop 1/2 of the sour cream randomly over the green onions.
- Top with 1/2 cup Cheddar and 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with 6 tortillas, spread with remaining salsa, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until cheeses are melted.
Oustanding!! Loved it. Husband took the rest to work and shared with his co-workers.
This is a keeper! Instead of the chili and cayenne, I used about a quarter of a tin of chipotles in adobo sauce. I also spread refried beans on the tacos. Instead of packaged taco seasoning, I used Bulk Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe (recipe 4292) with reduced salt. Yum yum yum yum yum!
We really enjoyed this! I loved the green onions and was surprised at the difference in taste/texture that it gave over typical white onions. I used one pound of turkey and one of hamburger and realized too late that I only had one pack of taco seasoning so I used it and just increased the other seasonings slightly. My husband asked me to pack up the leftovers so he could share with a friend at work (and he never eats leftovers, so this is a huge compliment)!