This comes from Woman's Day magazine. Its a beautiful cake!
Make and share this Incredible Peach Upside Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps or 2 tablespoons peach nectar
- 4 large ripe peaches, pitted, peeled, cut into 1 inch thick wedges (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup cake flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- In a 9 1/2 or 10 inch nonstick oven-proof skillet, mix sugar and 3 tsp water. Boil, swirling pan, about 5 minutes until sugar starts to caramelize and tuns a light honey color. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and scnapps until blended. Cool slightly, then arrange peach slices in caramel, overlapping to fit. Heat oven to 350°F
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in small bowl to blend. In medium bowl, with a handheld mixer on medium speed, beat sugar, butter, egg and extracts 3 minutes, or until pale and smooth. On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk until just blended. Spoon over peaches; spread evenly to edges.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of cake to loosen; invert onto serving plate (if any peach slices stick to skillet, replace on top of cake). Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
A light and tasty upsidedown cake, with great visual appeal. It is a beautiful cake, one to make again. Used peach schnapps, 3 X-large peaches, and 1/2 plain yogurt and 1/2 soy beverage in place of buttermilk. Love using the cast iron skillet for upsidedown cakes, does it enhance the flavour or is that just my imagination? Anyway, well done, jovigirl. ps forgot to mention..used whole wheat cake and pastry flour..