This comes from Woman's Day magazine. Its a beautiful cake!
Make and share this Incredible Peach Upside Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps or 2 tablespoons peach nectar
- 4 large ripe peaches, pitted, peeled, cut into 1 inch thick wedges (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup cake flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- In a 9 1/2 or 10 inch nonstick oven-proof skillet, mix sugar and 3 tsp water. Boil, swirling pan, about 5 minutes until sugar starts to caramelize and tuns a light honey color. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and scnapps until blended. Cool slightly, then arrange peach slices in caramel, overlapping to fit. Heat oven to 350°F
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in small bowl to blend. In medium bowl, with a handheld mixer on medium speed, beat sugar, butter, egg and extracts 3 minutes, or until pale and smooth. On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk until just blended. Spoon over peaches; spread evenly to edges.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of cake to loosen; invert onto serving plate (if any peach slices stick to skillet, replace on top of cake). Serve cake warm or at room temperature.