Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups matzo farfel
- 5 large shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Saute onions in butter or olive oil on medium-low heat until translucent (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add mushrooms, saute until mushrooms soften a bit (about 3-4 minutes). Mix in turmeric and cumin. Saute a few more minutes until mushrooms look totally soft.
- Pour farfel into a large bowl. Toss in mushroom mixture with farfel. Add salt, fresh oregano and enough broth to moisten farfel, but not enough to make too soggy.
- Put entire mixture into a loaf pan . Bake for about 15 minutes in oven, turn heat to broil, then set under broiler for about 1-2 minutes to let top brown a bit (but watch carefully so you don't burn to top).