Recipe by Jan in Lanark
There are many lemon square recipes, but I think this is one of the best. I sometimes combine fresh lime and lemon juice to give the squares a different twist.
Top Review by hirachel
These are fantastic. I don't alter the recipe at all. I have been making them for two years but only now getting around to reviewing. They're amazing. I usually make them in two 8x8 pans though instead of the 9x13. And I use parchment paper instead of greasing the pans.
- 1 cup butter (preferably) or 1 cup margarine, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In medium bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup icing sugar.
- Add 2 cups flour and stir with wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pat evenly into a 13 by 9 inch baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Combine eggs, sugar, remaining 1/3 cup flour, lemon juice and baking powder in blender container; cover and blend for 5 seconds. Scrape down sides of blender and blend another 5 seconds.
- Pour over partially baked crust and bake another 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with remaining icing sugar.
- Cut into 32 squares.