1/20 Photos of Incredible Lemon Cake
1 hr 30 mins
If you like lemon, you're going to love this cake! Saw this recipe being made by the Barefoot Contessa on FoodTV and just had to have it. Not being overly experienced, I was a bit intimidated by the recipe. However, it is not very hard, looks great and the taste is incredible! Cook time does not include time for the cakes to cool.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup lemon, zest of, grated
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans, lining the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.
- 3Cream, using paddle attachment, butter and 2 C granulated sugar in bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
- 4With mixer on medium speed, add eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.
- 5Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- 6In another bowl, combine 1/4 C lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- 7Alternately add flour and buttermilk mixtures to batter, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 8Divide batter evenly between pans, smoothing the tops.
- 9Bake 45 minutes- 1 hour, until tester comes out clean.
- 10When cakes are done, cool 10 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, combine 1/2 C granulated sugar and 1/2 C lemon juice in small saucepan, cooking over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 12Remove cakes from pans and set on wire rack over jelly pan (best to set upside down on rack so that syrup is spooned onto the bottom of the cake as it will absorb better than spooning over the top).
- 13Spoon lemon syrup over cakes.
- 14Allow cakes to cool completely.
- 15Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with whisk until smooth.
- 16Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow to drizzle down the sides.
- 17Garnish with 2 lemon slices and some greens (e. g., Italian parsley or mint leaves), as desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Incredible Lemon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.0
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 123.9 mg
- Sodium 307.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 75.2 g
- Protein 7.3 g