Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I can't remember where I found this but it was somewhere on the internet. If you don't have instant yeast, you can use active dry yeast and heat water, honey, and butter to 125 degrees before adding it to the mixture, that's what I do. This bread goes great with everything! I recommend chicken salad. Despite the many instructions and ingredients, this is quite easy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir until dough comes together and pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer to lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, at least 1 hour.
- Shape into 4 long loaves and place on lightly greased cookie sheet, cover.
- Let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 30-35 minutes. Baking times will vary.
As I noted each review, in the only reviews with less than 5 stars, the chefs opted to make changes. I don't think they should even be allowed to rate the recipes if they changed them. This is without a doubt the ABSOLUTE BEST whole wheat recipe I have come across. I myself opted to use 1/2 honey also, but would not have posted review if less than 5 star due to changing original recipe. Thank You for the post.
I was a bit surprised with the cocoa and the coffee, but OMG this was by far the best homemade bread that we have every had. I did everything by the recipe and again OMG was it great. I will be making this all the time now that I have found the one bread that looks like wheat, taste like wheat and is still light and airy.
I did this as a dump bread, everything in the Kitchen-aid knead for 10 minute, put in a bowl and rise for a time then cooked in on a cookie sheet, Very easy. I dont have a bread pan right now.
Love this bread!! This is the best wheat bread recipe I've found. I reduced the honey by half based on other reviews. I used the dough cycle of the bread machine. Then I let the dough rise again in two 9x5 loaf pans (covered with greased plastic wrap), and baked them in the oven. The loaves baked up beautifully. This is a great all-around bread for sandwiches. The loaves are so lightweight that one person could easily eat half a loaf all by themself ;)