Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Originally from Southern Living; given to me by my lifelong best friend. Comfort food
Top Review by PixieDust
The best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had, bar none. I loved the flavor of the 3 cheese together. The maynnaise-dijon adds a tangy taste. I made half with ham and half without for my family's differing preferences. These are wonderful, easy to make and very filling. Thanks Nurse Di.
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 16 sandwich bread, slices
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced ham (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Spread 1 side of bread slices evenly with butter.
- Turn 8 slices buttered side down; spread evenly with cheese mixture.
- Top with ham, if desired, and remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sandwiches two at a time until golden, turning once.