Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally from Southern Living; given to me by my lifelong best friend. Comfort food
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 16 sandwich bread, slices
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced ham (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Spread 1 side of bread slices evenly with butter.
- Turn 8 slices buttered side down; spread evenly with cheese mixture.
- Top with ham, if desired, and remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sandwiches two at a time until golden, turning once.
The best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had, bar none. I loved the flavor of the 3 cheese together. The maynnaise-dijon adds a tangy taste. I made half with ham and half without for my family's differing preferences. These are wonderful, easy to make and very filling. Thanks Nurse Di.
Wonderful! Easy! Yummy! Instead of grilled cheese sandwiches, we made quesadillas. Another thing that's great about the cheese mixture is that it can be made far in advance of when you need it. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
You are right, these are the bomb!! I did not add the ham, just because we didn't have any and I was too lazy to go to the store. The cheese blend and mayonnaise-dijon are what make this sandwich so yummy and a stand-out from the usual grilled cheese. My family and I think they deserve more than 5-stars. Thanks for sharing this one. It is most definitely a keeper.