These cookies are so delectable it's hard to believe they are gluten free ;-) Shortbread-like and not overly sweet, they keep very well and make a perfect holiday gift! The recipe is a result of experimenting with all kinds of cookie recipes, combining things I liked and then patiently changing the resulting recipe slightly, time after time until it met my expectations. I hope it will meet yours as well :-) The dough is easy to roll out for cutting and also suitable for using a cookie press. I often freeze them raw in large amounts to bake later, but even without freezing these cookies hardly spread. If you need to avoid lactose, you can replace the butter with 4/5 dairy free margarine and 1/5 Ghee so as to have the buttery taste without the lactose.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl sift rice flour, corn starch, almond flour and teff.
- Grind coconut flour TOGETHER with cane sugar until fine, add to flour mixture.
- Add xanthan gum, salt and vanilla sugar and mix all ingredients well, using a wire whisk.
- Cut in butter and egg yolks and knead until you have a nice supple dough. At first it may seem the dough won't come together, but don't panick: it will ;-).
- Shape cookies the way you prefer.
- If dough is a bit too stiff for using a cookie press add a little cold water (no more than one tbsp at a time!)
- Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet or silpat leaving 1/2 inch in between.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove from oven when they start to smell real good and just turned slightly golden.
These cookies are really fantastic!! I made them with defatted walnut flour instead of coconut flour, tapioca starch instead of cornstarch and all margarine to be casein free, but that didn't affect the taste at all. I used 1/4 cup raw cane sugar and about 1/2 cup rice syrup and only about 170 g margarine, but they still are shortbread-like and absolutely delicious!! Great texture to work with. Maybe because of my changes they only took 10 minutes to bake - great tip to remove them as soon as they start to smell real good :D Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe!!