Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Our catering company's signature appetizer. We served more crab dip than any other item. Absolutely delicious, and you will keep coming back for more.
- 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat, shells picked
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup imitation crabmeat, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons onion juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pinch garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch paprika
- drain the crabmeat and remove any leftover shell fragments if necessary.
- In a heated CROCPOT, mix cream cheese, sour cream, white wine, onion juice, mustard powder, and garlic salt (and pepper) until smooth.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of grated cheddar cheese and then fold into the sauce with the crabmeat and imitation crabmeat.
- Heat the mixture for 20 to 30 minutes until the mixture starts to bubble and is steaming on top.
- Transfer the mixture into a small chaffing dish with Sterno for heat on the bottom.
- Serve with crackers, or crudities.
- CHEF'S NOTE: Please note that there is no mayonnaise in this recipe, therefor it can be chilled, even frozen, and upon reheating, the mixture will return to its former consistency.
- The "secret" to this recipe is that it is cooked in a CROCK POT and not cooked on top of the stove with direct heat. You can use a double boiler but the crock pot is simpler and fool proof. The mixture will not burn.
I didn't like this, (no one did) I probably did something wrong?? I only tasted the cream cheese. I used all real crabmeat, I don't know what went wrong but it is too expensive to try again.
This is outstanding! We love cheese at our house, so we added more than the recipe stated. Will make again and again. Thanks for posting! UPDATE: We've made this with a sweeter white wine, and found it really compliments the sweetness of the crab far better than dry white wine.