Recipe by TLC COOKIE
I got this one from a friend who is an executive chef- we adapted it from a "classic" recipe he had from his grandmother, to meet my husband's likes and needs.
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was good and easy to make. I did change it up a bit. I doubled the recipe. I used canned chicken and canned mushrooms. I also used a bit more cheese then noted. I also made this for freezer tag. I made one casserole with the mixture and cooked it right away. The other casserole I froze. We loved the fresh casserole. I did add a generous amount of garlic powder, salt and pepper. The other casserole I froze before baking. The day I was ready to cook, I pulled and let it thaw in the fridge. It was good frozen and thawed but it was a bit dry and if I would freeze again, I would use a thicker noodle as the angel hair got a bit mushy. This was easy enough to make any weeknight.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cleaned and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms (cleaned,sliced, and sauteed in butter)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- garlic, salt,and pepper to taste
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Braise chicken in butter until browned evenly.
- Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until "al dente", rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
- Drain well and spread evenly in a well buttered baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, make a light roux, using the flour, butter, and seasonings.
- Slowly whisk the chicken broth into the roux over medium-high heat.
- When the broth is incorporated, add the half and half.
- Continue whisking, and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- When a thickening is noticed, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Evenly distribute the chicken around the baking dish over top of the pasta.
- Do the same with the mushrooms (go ahead and add the butter from the mushrooms if desired, it adds flavor).
- Pour cream sauce evenly over pasta and blend into chicken, pasta, and mushrooms.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly over the top.