Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
I tweaked a Tyler Florence recipe to suit my tastes; it came out so well I had to post it here so I wouldn't forget how to make it again.... Next time I'll try it with frozen spinach to make it even easier!
- 3 lbs spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the spinach in several changes of water to get rid of any grit. Drain the spinach but keep some of the water clinging to the leaves.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion. Saute until quite soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add spinach and garlic. Cook, turning frequently, until the spinach has wilted down evenly. Remove the spinach to a colander and let it drain well. Press out as much liquid as you can from the leaves and chop them coarsely.
- Heat the skillet again over medium-high heat and add the sour cream, cream and nutmeg; cook until it reduces a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the spinach is hot, about 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.