Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I took this recipe from the Ghiradelli cocoa mix box and altered it a bit. I tend to find frosting recipes sickeningly sweet. This one is delicious and just the right sweetness, with a great mocha flavor. This recipe makes enough to cover the tops and sides of 2 9-inch rounds. Try it with the "Better than Box Cake" yellow cake recipe.
- Place butter, milk, and cocoa powder in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir mixture until all the butter has just melted.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla and salt.
- Sift in the confectioner's sugar and ground coffee.
- Mix until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature and frost away!
I made this recipe exactly according to the directions, even though the amount of cocoa listed was excessive. The icing was bitter. Even my husband did not like it, and he eats everything. I threw it in the garbage. Then I read the notes from the author (Luckynum49), maybe the hot cocoa mix by Ghirardelli was used, not the unsweetened cocoa that the recipe lists as an ingredient.
I was afraid that this was going to be too thick to spread when I was stirring it together but it was perfect! I put it on a chocolate cake (we are chocoholics!) and everyone devoured it. A hit at our house. Thanks for sharing it.