Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Mother In Law gave me this recipe years ago. I believe she got it out of a magazine. It is different than any other beef stew out there. The sour cream and nutmeg give it such a wonderful flavor and the smell as it cooks is indescribable. While I am posting the original recipe, which is AMAZING, I make a few changes for calorie reasons. The original below calls for regular sour cream, I always use light sour cream and it comes out great. I also spray PAM in the oven proof dish, and then add 2 teaspoons of oil rather than use a full 2 Tablespoons of oil and the stew is fine.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large red potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put oil in oven proof casserole dish or dutch oven.
- Brown Meat in dish. Add onion, garlic, potato and carrots.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg and flour and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Pour in beef broth. Bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and place in oven. Meat should be tender in an hour, but that depends on what size you cut your beef chunks to. If it is not tender enough, recover and continue to bake another 20-30 minutes longer.
- Once meat is tender, stir in sour cream and serve.
I have never eaten a beef stew this delicious. Ever. I have also never tasted a beef stew like this. It was very, very easy and outrageously delicious. The reason I joined this site was to find recipes that are delicious and impressive and that are unique. This fits the bill completely. It is also a very kid friendly meal. Mine loved it and asked me to make it again. It also makes way more than 4 servings. I think 8-10 is more like it.