Recipe by Irish Rose
This is the Barefoot Contessa's favorite chicken salad sandwich. I absolutely love all of her recipes and this was no exception. She roasts her chickens rather than poaching them to insure that the chicken stays moist. I have tried it both ways and I think I have to agree with Ina, I like the roasting method best. However, use whatever method you prefer.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I baked boneless chicken breasts (since that's what I had on hand) and added currants. This was an excellent chicken salad. I loved the texture of the chicken- it's the best texture for chicken salad! Thank Irish Rose, for posting- Roxygirl
- 4 chicken breast halves, bone in and skin on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 3⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 8 -10 slices seven-grain bread
- 1 (8 ounce) package mixed salad greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts, skin side up, on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- When the chicken is cool, remove and discard the skin and bones and cut chicken into 3/4 inch pieces. Place chicken in bowl and add the mayo, tarragon, celery, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and toss well.
- To assemble, spread a little mayo on half the bread slices, top with the chicken salad and amount of mixed salad greens you prefer.
- Cover with remaining slices of bread, cut in half and serve.