Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the Barefoot Contessa's favorite chicken salad sandwich. I absolutely love all of her recipes and this was no exception. She roasts her chickens rather than poaching them to insure that the chicken stays moist. I have tried it both ways and I think I have to agree with Ina, I like the roasting method best. However, use whatever method you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts, skin side up, on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- When the chicken is cool, remove and discard the skin and bones and cut chicken into 3/4 inch pieces. Place chicken in bowl and add the mayo, tarragon, celery, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and toss well.
- To assemble, spread a little mayo on half the bread slices, top with the chicken salad and amount of mixed salad greens you prefer.
- Cover with remaining slices of bread, cut in half and serve.
I baked boneless chicken breasts (since that's what I had on hand) and added currants. This was an excellent chicken salad. I loved the texture of the chicken- it's the best texture for chicken salad! Thank Irish Rose, for posting- Roxygirl
This made a delicious sandwich! I would not have thought to add tarragon to chicken salad but it really makes the flavor come alive. I think that making the sandwich with the 7-grain bread is key - it really complements the bold flavor of the filling. This is a wonderful sandwich and I will definitely make it again!
The roasting made the chicken very moist. I had never added tarragon to my chicken salad before. It made a great addition and I will use it from now on.