Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is from Ina Garten with my variations. I used ready-made pie crust and they turned out beautifully.
- 6 split chicken breast halves, bone-in, skin-on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen small whole onions (I don't like and left out)
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 pillsbury ready-made unbaked pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut chicken pieces into large dice.
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken broth and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the broth. In a large Butch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, untiltranslucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken broth to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring until thick. Add 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and heavy cream. Add the chicken, carrots, peas, onions if you are using, and parsley. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls. Roll each pie crust out on a floured surface to make larger. Cut two 8" circles of dough from each pie crust.
- Beat egg with water to make an egg wash. Brush the outside edges of each bowl with the egg wash, then place dough on top. Trim dough to 1/2" larger than the top of the bowl. Crimp dough edges, pressing to make it stick. Brush dough with egg wash and make 3 slits in the top of each crust. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, or unti the top is golden brown and filling is bubbling hot.