This is from Ina Garten with my variations. I used ready-made pie crust and they turned out beautifully.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 split chicken breast halves, bone-in, skin-on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions (I don't like and left out)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 pillsbury ready-made unbaked pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut chicken pieces into large dice.
- 3In a small saucepan, heat chicken broth and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the broth. In a large Butch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, untiltranslucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken broth to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring until thick. Add 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and heavy cream. Add the chicken, carrots, peas, onions if you are using, and parsley. Mix well.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls. Roll each pie crust out on a floured surface to make larger. Cut two 8" circles of dough from each pie crust.
- 6Beat egg with water to make an egg wash. Brush the outside edges of each bowl with the egg wash, then place dough on top. Trim dough to 1/2" larger than the top of the bowl. Crimp dough edges, pressing to make it stick. Brush dough with egg wash and make 3 slits in the top of each crust. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- 7Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, or unti the top is golden brown and filling is bubbling hot.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ina's Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (922 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1388.5
- Calories from Fat 848
- Total Fat 94.2 g
- Saturated Fat 38.1 g
- Cholesterol 234.7 mg
- Sodium 1158.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 45.1 g