Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
I saw Ina make this today - posted here for my salad cookbook.
- 1 cup wheatberries, hard winter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the Wheatberries and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a saucepan and cook, uncovered, over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until they are soft.
- Saute the red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm Wheatberries, sauteed onions, scallions, red bell pepper, carrot, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the wheatberries to absorb the sauce.
- Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.
With one small exception, I made this recipe as given ~ I did, however, shred a medium-size carrot instead of dicing a small one! The result was a great tasting salad, & I'm sure that wheatberries will be getting more & more of my attention in the future! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef event]