Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
My mother-in-law was missing part of this recipe (she came in late on the show) so she had me track it down and I'm posting it in case anyone else goes looking.
- 709.77 ml plain flour
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 473.18 ml milk
- 3 extra large eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 226.79 g unsalted butter, Melted (Plus Extra To Grease The Pan)
- 226.79 g aged extra-sharp cheddar cheese, Grated, Divided
- 78.07 ml scallion, Chopped (White And Green Parts, Plus Extra For Garnish, 3 Scallions)
- 44.37 ml fresh jalapenos, Seeded And Minced
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix!
- Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I thought that this recipe for cornbread was the best tasting cornbread on the planet!! It was so good and rich and moist and light in texture. Yum..., heaven on a plate! I had used regular grated cheddar because that is what I had and I really could not taste the cheese as Ina said would happen if one didn't not use an extra-sharp. I also used only 1 jalapeno because I was a bit nervous, I am "Sweet" cornbread kind of gal and I was afraid the jalapeno would overpower- wrong again! Full jalapenos next time! I think this is a special occasion cornbread because of the calories, but if you really want to impress someone and knock their socks off this is it!
This cornbread was delicious. Very moist. I used green onions instead of jalapenos with a little chipotle
This cornbread is delicious! I've made it a few times and will continue to do so.