1/2 Photos of Ina Garten's Irish Soda Bread
Secret Agent's Note:
This was soooo yummy! Ina does not claim that it is authentic Irish Soda Bread but says it is delicious and we agree! Next time I'll make it into two smaller loaves since it's pretty big for the two of us. We had it for breakfast hot out of the oven yesterday and this morning we toasted it and just loved it! It took more than the 4 cups of flour called for but we had to sift a huge restaurant sack of flour that looked more like plaster of paris, so it could have been because of the double sifting. Try this if you like soda bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, for dusting currants
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/8 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, shaken
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- 2Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour.
- 3With a fork, lightly beat the buttermilk, egg, and orange zest together in a measuring cup. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Combine the currants with 1 tablespoon of flour and mix into the dough. It will be very wet.
- 4Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf. Place the loaf on the prepared sheet pan and lightly cut an X into the top of the bread with a serrated knife. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. When you tap the loaf, it will have a hollow sound.
- 5Cool on a baking rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ina Garten's Irish Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.6
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 32.0 mg
- Sodium 315.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g