Recipe by Faux Chef Lael
This is Ina Garten's highly rated Greek Salad recipe, featured on Food Network. The dressing is to die for!
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, large-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large-diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or grape tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced in half-rounds
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
For the vinaigrette
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (NOT table salt or sea salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables.
- Add the feta and olives and toss lightly.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
- Tips from me:
- To reduce the sharpness of the onion, soak the sliced onion in ice cold water for 30 minutes and pat with paper towels to dry, before adding to salad.
- To cut down on prep time, place a single layer of cherry/grape tomatoes between two Tupperware lids (or flat plates, etc.) and slice through all of them at once, using a sharp knife.