Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I served mine next to spaghetti marinara and kept the salad on the side. I got this recipe out of Ina’s cookbook Barefoot Contessa Family Style.
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1⁄4 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/4-inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. On a second plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. On a third plate, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread-crumb mixture, pressing lightly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts.
I have Ina's Family Cookbook and have made this dish many times. It is a hit with all three of our kids and the hubby. For the kids, I omit the salad (still a little young to appreciate how yummy it can be!), but for DH and I, it stays. Super delicious - the chicken remains tender & juicy; the lemon dressing over top of it and the lettuce is simply superb. I highly recommend the recipe - no tweaks needed here! :)