Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another fabulous recipe from the Barefoot Contessa! I made the other Date Nut Bread I posted then this one thinking I'd have a bake-off. Well, they are both great and very different! I wound up with 2 keepers! The bread is very nice served with the recommended orange cream cheese, but that is entirely optional.
- 2 cups coarsly chopped dates (10 ounces pitted)
- 1⁄3 cup orange liqueur (Cointreau or Triple sec)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (2 oranges)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup coarsly chopped pecans (3 oz.)
For the cream cheese spread
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- In a bowl combine dates and orange liqueur and "marinate" for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare loaf pan (8x5); butter bottom, line with parchment paper, butter again and flour.
- Sift together flour, and next 6 ingredients. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar for 1 minute. Then, at low speed, add egg, vanilla, and orange zest. Add flour mixture alternately with orange juice. Beat only until combined.
- Mix in pecans and dates with liquid by hand.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
- To make the orange cream cheese, add add ingredients together and combine with electric mixer.