Recipe by COOKGIRl
...not literally, but figuratively. From the Chevy's Mexican Restaurant franchise's Fresh Mex Cookbook. Serve this as a side dish, topping for tacos, in a BBQ sandwich, etc .
- 3 cups shredded white cabbage (can also use savoy)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1 ounce dried chipotle chile, stems removed
- 1 ounce ancho chili, stems removed (mulatto or chimayo chili can be substituted)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon achiote paste (or powder)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon mexican unrefined unbleached cane sugar, grated (known as piloncillo)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: the original Sweet Chipotle Dressing is posted here on Recipezaar: Recipe #66933. I manipulated the recipe a bit and posted my own version.
- Soak the dried chili peppers until softened. Combine the chilis with the remaining dressing ingredients and blend well.
- In large, non-reactive bowl combine both cabbage varieties and the 3/4 cup of the prepared chipotle dressing. Toss well. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Keep chilled until served.