Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is based off the Kitchenaide 60 minute roll recipe but I just tweaked a little bit by adding some extra flavors to the mix. This recipe is for a stand mixer. If you want the onion/garlic flavors to be stronger add more....less then add less.
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I like 2%)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 3⁄4 teaspoons dry active yeast (3 pkgs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup onion, chopped somewhat fine
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, sugar, salt and butter. Heat over low heat until sugar dissolves and butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a small pan over medium heat, put a small amount of oil and saute the onion and garlic together. When onion is translucent and the mixture just starts to brown, remove from heat and set aside.
- To toast the sesame seeds you can place them in a pan over medium heat and brown to your liking.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixer bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture and 4 1/2 cups flour. Mix using the dough hook, mix on low speed for 1 minute. Continuing to mix, add in toasted sesame seeds and onion/garlic mixture then remaining flour one half cup at a time until dough starts to "clean" the sides of the bowl. Continue to knead on low for two more minutes or until elastic and smooth. Dough will be sticky to the touch.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and turn over once. Cover with a clean dry dish towel. Let rise in a draft free, warm place for 15 minutes. I usually turn my oven on for 3-4 minutes and then turn it off when I put the bowl in it. You want it comfortably warm but not hot.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 24 pieces. At this point I usually make balls with the pieces and put them in greased muffin cups. You could also make rolls with 12 balls of dough in a 9x13 pan. You will get 24 rolls so two 12 muffin pans or 2 9x13 pans. Cover with dish towel again and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 at this time.
- Before placing in the oven make an X with a sharp knife on top of each roll in the muffin pans -- I don't do this when I make them in the 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter when you remove them from the oven.