Recipe by Quail Trails
This is a large quantity recipe for keeping in the fridge, and my favorite bran muffin. Great for a quick and easy breakfast.
Top Review by MommaEllen
If you have any reservations about trying a whole bran type muffin, you should try these! LIght on the inside and just a little crisp on the outside. We used dried cranberries and sliced almonds in ours, but you could really be creative and pick your favorites. I may add some flax seed next time just for kicks! Thank you for sharing!
- 4 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups wheat germ
- 2 cups whole natural bran
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a large (3-4 qt.) bowl to mix dry ingredients.
- Stir in buttermilk, oil and eggs, mix well.
- May be stored up to 4 weeks in refrigerator, tightly covered.
- To bake, fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400 degrees 12-15 minutes, until done.
- Can be made, frozen and reheated in a microwave.
- Add nuts, raisins, currants, chopped fresh apple etc.
- each batch, or crumb toppings.