Recipe by Broke Guy
This is a traditional recipe from Malta. Malta, being off the coast of Sicily, has been heavily influenced by the Italians.
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 slice bacon, sliced thinly
- &frac 12 cup red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni per the directions on the package. When the noodles are al dente, drain them and then fill the pot with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are golden brown. Add the beef, pork and bacon and saute until meat is browned.
- Add the red wine, crushed tomatoes, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drain the noodles and pour half into a well buttered baking pan.
- Top noodles with half of the meat mixture. Add remaining noodles and top with meat mixture. Using two wooden spoons, fold meat and noodles together in a gentle tossing motion. It does not need to be combined completely. Smooth the mixture in the pan.
- In a small bowl, blend the two eggs, yogurt and half of the Parmesan cheese with a fork. Mix thoroughly and pour over entire casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheese across top of casserole.
- Cook for 30 minutes, until top becomes dark and crunchy. Allow to cool out of the oven for 15 minutes. Best when cooled completely, refrigerated covered overnight and reheated the next day.