Recipe by JackieOhNo!
It started snowing the other day, and I couldn't get to the grocery store. I took a look through the refrigerator and the pantry to see what I could scavenge up for dinner. I didn't quite have all the ingredients for our favorite lasagna, but I was able to improvise with what I had on hand, and was rewarded with a delicious dinner.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed (sweet or hot)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups prepared tomato-basil spaghetti sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram or 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 no-cook lasagna noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crumble sausage and saute in a large Dutch oven until lightly browned, then add onion. When sausage is completed cooked and browned, add garlic and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, and seasonings. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup parmesan, and parsley. Set aside.
- Assemble lasagna by spooning sauce into prepared pan to cover the bottom (about 1-1/2 cups). Layer 3 lasagna noodles (they expand when cooked), 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, and 1/2 of the sliced mozzarella. Cover with sauce. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, and remaining 1/2 of the sliced mozzarella. Cover with remaining sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Cover with nonstick aluminum foil (or foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray) and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake, uncovered, for another 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.