Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Though this is a time-consuming dessert, you'll be surprised with its rich texture and flavor. Originally from Cook's Illustrated Magazine.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples (about 5)
- 2 lbs mcintosh apples (about 4 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (1 1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Peel, quarter, and core apples, slice each quarter crosswise into pieces 1/4 inch thick.
- Toss apples, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl to combine.
- Heat butter in large Dutch oven over high heat until foaming subsides; add apples and toss to coat.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until apples are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in raisins; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until Granny Smith apple slices are tender and McIntosh apple slices are softened and beginning to break down, about 5 minute longer.
- Set large colander over large bowl; transfer cooked apples to colander.
- Shake colander and toss apples to drain off as much juice as possible.
- Bring drained juice and cream to boil in now-empty Dutch oven over high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and wooden spoon leaves trail in mixture, about 5 minutes.
- Pack cooked apples into 8-inch square baking dish and pour reduced juice mixture over.
- Smooth with rubber spatula.
- Streusel topping: Combine flour, sugars, and cornmeal in medium bowl; drizzle with melted butter and toss with fork until evenly moistened and mixture forms many large chunks with pea-sized pieces mixed throughout.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread streusel in even layer on baking sheet.
- Bake streusel until golden brown, about 5 minute.
- ;cool baking sheet with streusel on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle streusel evenly over pie filling.
- Set pie plate on now-empty baking sheet and bake untel streusel topping is deep golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack and serve.