1/1 Photo of Improved Delicious Stuffed Red Bells
I found the original recipe on this site submitted by Cindy Hartlin & changed it so much I just decided to re-do it with the new additions as I can never remember what I do to recipes unless I write it down. On a whim I threw some grated parmesan romano on top too, it added a slightly nutty flavor & was quite delicious... Hope you like it, we sure do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 red bell peppers, big blocky ones
- 1 lb ground beef, Ground
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Dales seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated (or)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2Cut tops from peppers & reserve, remove stems, membranes & seeds; plant seeds + waste in your garden, membranes & stems make good mulch & you'll have delicious home grown peppers next year.
- 3Chop the tops & set aside.
- 4Cook the cored peppers, uncovered in boiling water for 10-15 minutes then remove & place immediately in ice water, this will make it easier to peel them. Peel peppers, place in greased caserole (I use Pam) and sprinkle insides lightly with salt. You don't have to but we prefer them peeled as they're easier to cut with a fork later & have a lovely texture.
- 5In a skillet cook ground beef, onion, shallots, garlic and chopped pepper tops until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
- 6Drain off excess fat if you've a mind to, to take it one step further you can cook the beef separately, rinse and then add veggies, this will cut some of the fat. Add uncooked rice, water, salt, Dale's and pepper.
- 7Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 8Stir in cheddar until well blended. Stuff peppers with meat mixture. Place in a casserole dish & top with parmesan (or mozzarella).
- 9Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. The original recipe called for them to be covered but we like the mix to be crispy on top so I cook uncovered.
- 10HINTS: I/ve omitted tomatoes as they give me heartburn if you like a tomato based sauce then by all means, add a can, it's still delicious! We made it with the mozzarella last night and it ROCKED!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Improved Delicious Stuffed Red Bells
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.3
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 697.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: