Recipe by Babychops
I found the original recipe on this site submitted by Cindy Hartlin & changed it so much I just decided to re-do it with the new additions as I can never remember what I do to recipes unless I write it down. On a whim I threw some grated parmesan romano on top too, it added a slightly nutty flavor & was quite delicious... Hope you like it, we sure do!
- 6 red bell peppers, big blocky ones
- 1 lb ground beef, Ground
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Dales seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated (or)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tops from peppers & reserve, remove stems, membranes & seeds; plant seeds + waste in your garden, membranes & stems make good mulch & you'll have delicious home grown peppers next year.
- Chop the tops & set aside.
- Cook the cored peppers, uncovered in boiling water for 10-15 minutes then remove & place immediately in ice water, this will make it easier to peel them. Peel peppers, place in greased caserole (I use Pam) and sprinkle insides lightly with salt. You don't have to but we prefer them peeled as they're easier to cut with a fork later & have a lovely texture.
- In a skillet cook ground beef, onion, shallots, garlic and chopped pepper tops until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off excess fat if you've a mind to, to take it one step further you can cook the beef separately, rinse and then add veggies, this will cut some of the fat. Add uncooked rice, water, salt, Dale's and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in cheddar until well blended. Stuff peppers with meat mixture. Place in a casserole dish & top with parmesan (or mozzarella).
- Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. The original recipe called for them to be covered but we like the mix to be crispy on top so I cook uncovered.
- HINTS: I/ve omitted tomatoes as they give me heartburn if you like a tomato based sauce then by all means, add a can, it's still delicious! We made it with the mozzarella last night and it ROCKED!