Recipe by COOKGIRl
My Royal Tweak of the popular "Impossible" XYZ pie recipes that abound in cookbooks and online. This dish uses the previous night's dinner leftovers. Four separate Zaar recipes,-(examples given below in recipe directions) were incorporated into one main dish! See what kind of culinary masterpiece you can come up with using your leftovers!
- 2 cups leftover Mexican rice (see Mexican Rice)
- 2 cups beans, cooked (see Spanish Cristianos Y Moros ( Beans and Rice Sidedish))
- 1⁄2 cup corn, cooked
- 1 -2 tablespoon taco seasoning mix (see Mexican Seasoning Mix II (Salt Free))
- 2⁄3 cup shredded cheese, Mexican (such as chihuahua or queso blanco)
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup Bisquick baking mix, substitute (see Low Fat Bisquick Substitute)
- 3 eggs
- green onion
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE: Substitute any mild American cheese for the Mexican cheese. Examples are Monterey Jack or white cheddar.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- In large bowl combine the cooked rice, beans, corn, taco seasoning and cheese. Set aside.
- In saute pan, cook the onion and garlic in a small amount of oil until softened then add to the bean/rice mixture.
- Spread bean/rice mixture into the prepared pie plate.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat the milk, Bisquick substitute and eggs until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high speed or 1 minute with hand mixer.
- Pour into pie plate. Bake until golden brown and knife inserted into center of pie comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Allow to stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with additional shredded cheese; and if desired with sliced green onion and red pepper flakes.