Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This has become a staple in our home. We absolutely LOVE this pork. There is a restaurant chain here in Utah called Costa Vida and this is as close as we have come to replicating the sweet pork they make there for the burritos/salads/etc.
- 4 -5 lbs pork roast
- 12 ounces salsa (We usually use Pace Picante Medium(but we have used homemade salsa with great results)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (Just enough to coat the skillet)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat--we prefer to use Cast-Iron for searing, so if you have one, use it.
- Rub the Salt and Pepper all over the roast.
- Sear the Roast in the skillet for 1-2 min per side.
- Toss the seared Roast in your crock-pot.
- sprinkle the Brown Sugar over the roast and then dump the salsa over the top of that.
- Cook on Low for 10-12 hours. You will know when the roast is done, because it will shred easily with a couple of forks.
- Shred the pork right there in your crockpot and mix it all up with the drippings and other liquids.
- Serve as a filling for tacos/burritos or on top of salads.
This is a great recipe! Its easy enough to throw in right before work (I even skip the searing part when I'm running late) and it comes out great. We usually do sandwiches the first night, then burritos another night.
This was great with rice and Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce! It was just as good as some more complicated recipes I've had. I used my homemade salsa (Six Pepper Salsa) and cut the sugar down to 1 cup. It was plenty sweet for us. Thanks for sharing something that I'm sure we will make again.
absoulutely love this. I put it on last night and this morning it was ready. An easy supper to come home to after a busy day @ work. This is definitely going in my "keeper file". I hope more people give this a try! thanks for a great recipe!