Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
All the usual breakfast ingredients -- sausage, eggs, potatoes, cheese -- are baked into a pie that makes its own crust. This is a double recipe that bakes in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish if you're having company. Cut recipe in half to bake in a pie plate and serve 4-6 (see note). Recipe is from Betty Crocker.
Top Review by Hunkle
This was a nice, quick recipe to prepare for Christmas morning. We left out the bell pepper (not fans) and added a little minced garlic to the onion sauté. I also added a touch of dried basil and thyme to the eggs. My husband enjoyed it quite a bit. Another plus is that I only used two dishes to make it so I didn't have to wash a lot of pots and bowls to prepare Christmas dinner. Thanks for sharing.
- 24 ounces bulk pork sausage (2 packages, 12 ounces each)
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup original Bisquick baking mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cook sausage, bell pepper, and onion in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir together sausage mixture, potatoes and 1-1/2 cups of the cheese. Add Bisquick, milk, pepper and eggs; stir until blended. Pour into baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or just until cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes.
- NOTE: If making 1/2 recipe of the Breakfast Pie, bake in a greased 9-inch pie plate for 30 to 35 minutes.