This pie is so impossibly good, it gave its name to the cookbook. The recipe comes from former premier of Ontario William Davis’s aunt, Winnifred Prouse, who always made this on his birthday. If you like a tart and lemony pie you will love it like me. Light as clouds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy saucepan, combine lemon juice and rind, egg yolks, hot water, 1/4 cup sugar and butter.
- 2Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a spoon.
- 3Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- 4In a large bowl, beat egg whites until STIFF, slowly adding remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- 5Fold in egg yolk mixture and pour into baked pie shell.
- 6Place pie briefly under broiler to give a golden top.
- 7Watch it constantly because it will brown quickly.
- 8Cool and refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving. Keep in the refrigerator.
- 9Serves 6 to 8.
- 10NOTE: To extract more juice from lemons, limes and oranges, place them in the microwave on high for 30-45 seconds per piece of fruit, or roll them on the kitchen counter with the palms of your hands.
- 11I used extra large lemons for this pie.
- 12Impossible Pie Cookbook.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Impossible Lemon Pie
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.2
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 115.9 mg
- Sodium 225.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 5.1 g