Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 cups cooked smoked ham, cut up
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup green onions or 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F (205C).
- Grease 10" pie plate.
- Sprinkle ham, cheese and onion in plate.
- Place remaining ingredients in blender and beat on HIGH until smooth (about 15 seconds).
- Pour into plate.
- Bake at 400F (205C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- NOTE: High altitude adjust cooking time to 45 minutes.
This is a wonderful, flexible recipe that gives so many options. I like it for using leftovers or on days that I need something easy. Unlike a quiche, you don't need to make a separate crust. It tastes like quiche, though. If you want a very easy cleanup line your dish with tin foil and spray with Pam or some such oil spray. The leftovers can be heated gently for lunch the next day. I like to add white pepper to this dish as it adds a more delicate flavor and heat. I've made it for friends when we've had little money. My sons and father like it also which makes it a good meal when I need to feed them.
Red pepper sauteed or chopped goes well with the egg, cheese and ham. Any vegetable goes well with this dish except cruciferous vegetables which are too strongly flavored. Cut the vegetables up well enough so that the pie does not pull apart messily when you serve it especially spinach or chard. Next time I intend to use a spring form pan to see if I can make it even easier to cut and serve. Thank you for the excellent recipe Andy Wold.
We all liked it-- the kids surprised me and didn't fuss about eating dinner-- which is greatly appreciated!! I used 1 1/2 cups milk and omitted the onions this time. Next time, I'll try and sneak them in.
Easy and relatively quick, We add brocolli and mushrooms, 1/4 cup less milk, and shredded Mexican cheese blend.