Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A quick dinner or lunch, great with a salad. Found this in a recipe box that I bought at a second hand store. I can imagine the memories inside of it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 3 eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 10-inch pie plate.
- Cook and stir beef and onion until brown; drain.
- Stir in salt and pepper, spread beef in pie plate.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat remaining ingredients until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high speed or 1 minute with hand beater.
- Pour into pie plate.
- Bake until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes; garnish as desired.
- Refrigerate remaining pie.
- Note: If using 9-inch pie plate, decrease milk to 1 cup, baking mix to 1/2 cup and eggs to 2.
I love this dish. I did make a few changes though. I added celery, green onions, garlic & pepper. I also sprinkled the cheddar cheese over the meat mixture before pouring the bisquick mixture on top. It ends up on top of the pie in the end.
My mom passed this recipe on to me. I've had it for over 20 years. It does taste great and it's one of the few meals I can honestly say tastes even better when reheated.
This is such a super easy recipe and both my hubby and I love it! Instead of using a pie plate, I just use a casserole dish. I have to bake it about 15 minutes longer that way, but everyone loves the "deep dish" style. I also put a bottom "crust" on the pie by pouring a layer of the batter in the bottom of dish, and letting it bake for a few minutes (just enough to get a little density) before I pour the meat in.