Recipe by mollypaul
An heirloom recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 lb butter (no substitutions)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 12 eggs, separated
- 1 lb sugar (2 cups)
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 lb slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 lb candied citron peel, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a tube pan and preheat oven to 250°F.
- Cream butter and add flour gradually.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored; add half the sugar, grated rind and juice of lemon gradually, beating continually.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; add salt, nutmeg and remaining sugar.
- Combine the three mixtures, adding raisins, almonds and citron at the same time.
- Beat together for five minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 250F for 40 minutes, increase to 325F and bake for 50 minutes more.