Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe my sister gave me to help build up my DD's immunity, and not get sick so often. Here's what she said about the ingredients: "Basically the miso, the seaweed and the shitakes are DEEP immune builders, the ginger, the cayenne, the scallions help remove excess heat from the body and get circulation going." The ingredients can be increased or decreased to your preference. This is just what I did.
- 6 -8 cups vegetable stock or 6 -8 cups water
- 1⁄2-1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (including the hairy roots)
- 2 -3 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms or 1⁄2 cup fresh shiitake mushroom
- 1⁄2-1 sheet nori, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons miso (I used the red)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb cooked shrimp (optional)
- Combine the stock, ginger, scallions, carrots and mushrooms in a pot (she said glass pot) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the nori and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in miso until dissolved.
- If you like, blend the pieces with a stick blender or regular blender and add the cooked shrimp back in (if using).
I thought this was great. I added 1/4 tsp cayenne and used chicken stock. I also made this once as an egg drop soup for extra protein since I don't like shrimp.
Very nice, comforting version of miso soup! I used three cups of chicken stock, four cups of water and one sheet of nori. I served the shrimp on the side. Perfect warming winter lunch! Thanks for posting!