Adapted from The Herb Companion ''Garlic is the tastiest and best all-around stimulant for the immune system. Of the other immunostimulant herbs it also includes shiitake mushrooms, calendula, ginger and turmeric .To make an immunity-boosting soup also use some ground black pepper (to enhance the uptake of the curcumin) and some chiles or cayenne.''
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- dandelion greens, 1 large handful
- 2 quarts water
- 1 stick astragalus root, broken in half
- 2 inches gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 1 small dried cayenne pepper, stemmed and seeded, diced fine
- 1 garlic, bulb peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushroom, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into small cubes (between 3 and 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon calendula flowers, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, minced (generous tsps)
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced (red or yellow)
- couple pinches cinnamon
- 2 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1To prepare dandelion: Rinse greens thoroughly. Remove and chop stems, then coarsely chop leaves. Keep chopped leaves separate from chopped stems. Set aside.
- 2In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, combine water, astragalus, ginger, cayenne, garlic, shiitake and turmeric. Cover and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat and cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add sweet potato, stir, cover and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes. Add minced herbs, bell pepper and cinnamon. Stir well, cover and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, adding dandelion stems after 3 or 4 minutes.
- 4Finally, add spinach and dandelion greens. Season generously with salt and pepper, and cook for 4 or 5 minutes until greens are wilted and tender. Adjust seasonings. Remove astragalus root before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Immunity-Boosting Winter Soup
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.6
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: