Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Fried into submission and eaten as a side or steak topping.
Top Review by cookin mimi
I love mushrooms, and I learned how to cook them better from usiing this recipe. As "riffraff" said in her review, not stirring them helps to keep them from shriveling. I used olive oil instead of margarine. Loved this recipe, thanks for posting, Sandi.
- 1 lb button mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushroom, washed, stems removed, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat margarine over medium-high heat.
- When melted, add mushrooms, trying to maintain as much of a single layer as possible. (They'll shrink, so you'll have more room to spread them out later.) DO NOT STIR.
- Sprinkle with all the seasonings and let cook for a couple of minutes before you stir. This enables a nice dark color through a sort of caramelization with minimal "sweating" of the mushrooms.
- Continue cooking, stirring/flipping occasionally, until both sides are deep brown. You may need to lower the heat *slightly*. Eat, then go watch the Sopranos.