Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Before posting this recipe I checked recipezaar to see if it was already posted. There are many chutney recipes with either coriander or tamarind or even both ingredients but none of them has the core ingredient crushed red peppers. This chutney is spicy & sour at the same time. It can be stored in a tight lid jar for almost a month in the fridge. Enjoy it with snacks or just plain kababs or Kichdi.
- 1 1⁄2 cups tamarind juice (imli)
- 1⁄2 bunch coriander leaves (Hara Dhaniya) or 1⁄2 bunch cilantro (Hara Dhaniya)
- 2 green jalapeno peppers (Bari Hari Mirchain, cut in 4 pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (pissi huwi sabut lal mirch)
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor.
- If you do not want it too spicy, add only 1/2 tablespoon crushed red peppers.
- Serve with snacks, kababs, parathas, kichdis or whatever you like.
This is a really nice sauce. I wasn't so sure about using tamarind - I'm really unfamiliar with it. I didn't have any 'juice' and I didn't really know what you meant, SOOOO, I just added tamarind paste/concentrate (made by Tamicon, comes in a jar) to some warm water until it tasted 'right'. Besides not knowing what to do with the tamarind this is really nice. I served it with your Chickpea Pulao and potato kebabs. Thank you! Reviewed for PAC Spring 2009