Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from our church cookbook. It is very satisfying. The water chestnuts give it a nice crunch & it has a good flavor.
- 2 cups imitation crabmeat, shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked rice or 1 cup diced potato
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup buttered bread crumb
- Mix all ingredients, except bread crumbs, together and put into a casserole.
- (This is a big recipe--you may need to use 2.) Top with buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
I love crunch so the crunchy factors here were essential, I thought. But it's totally lacking ANY seasoning!!! It needs some! I added Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper but you could also add powdered mustard, horseradish, lemon zest/juice..... just anything at all to give it some real flavor and some life!
We really liked this I did add some Old Bay seasoning but no water chestnuts. Added a little chopped carrot instead & crumbled cracker crumbs on top with butter. It was easy to make & will it again for sure. Thanks for posting!!
This is a very easy meal to make and tasty. I have made it now a couple times and some changes that we enjoy include: adding 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup chopped cabbage, doubling the rice to 2 cups, and doubling the mayo to 1 cup. We also have not put in the water chestnuts due to our tastes. The result is incredibly good. Thanks for posting a great recipe!