Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Serve with bananas for breakfast or at tea time. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
Coconut Treacle Mix
- 28 ounces finely scraped coconut
- 2 cups treacle (Coconut or Kithul treacle)
- 4 cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups short-grain white rice
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- Coconut Treacle Mix:.
- Pour the treacle into a pot and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add the Coconut and mix well.
- Take off the heat.
- Add the salt and cloves, mixing well. Set aside.
- Milk Rice:
- Put Rice and water into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and Salt.
- Stir with handle of wooden spoon, cover and cook on low heat for another 10-15 minutes (until the milk has been absorbed).
- Remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Divide the slightly cooled milk rice into two portions.
- On a flat dish, evenly spread out a layer of milk rice using one portion (should be at least 1 cm thick).
- Then evenly spread the coconut treacle mix on top.
- Cover it completely (including the sides) with the second portion of the milk rice.
- It is important to do all this before the milk rice cools down too much as it will become too sticky to handle.
- Cut into blocks.