Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This full meal dish with eggplants can be prepared in advance. And while it is cooking you will have more time for your guests.
- 4 medium eggplants (ca. 600-800g)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 500 g onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1000 g tomatoes, chopped (2 tin of 450 g)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 200 g feta (cut in 4 parts)
- 800 g potatoes, peeled in cubes (optional)
- Wash the eggplants, cut the ends and make a big long cut for the filling.
- Grease the eggplants with 1 tablespoon of oil and grill them in a big baking mold under the grill of your oven. Turn it occasionally until they change the color everywhere.
- In the meanwhile (but keep an eye to the eggplants!) fry the onions in the remaining oil, when they are soft add the garlic and fry 3 more minutes.
- Add the half of the tomatoes, parsley, pepper and adjust the salt to your taste.
- Fill the eggplant in the baking mold with the onions mix, but let at least 3 tablespoons in the frying pan.
- Adjust on every eggplant one piece of feta.
- Arrange the potatoes (if used) around the eggplants.
- Add the remaining tomatoes to the onion in the pan. Add some salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) and cover your eggplants and potatoes with this tomatoes sauce.
- Bake about one hour at 170-180°C or until the potatoes are ready (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven). From time to time check if it is not drying to much, if necessary add 1/2 cup of water or white wine.
This is a delicious veggie dish! I made a single eggplant and it was large enough to serve 2. I don't care for onions so left them out; I had some spinach to use so I chopped that up and added it instead. The eggplant came out so tender and flavorful, not at all bitter as eggplant can sometimes be. The potatoes were a great addition with the tomato topping. This dish got raves all around - thanks for sharing the recipe!