Recipe by Dine & Dish
I adopted this recipe during the Recipezaar abandoned recipe adoption. I made this the next day and it is so delicious! The crust is so easy to work with and has great flavor! If you like your apple juices to be a little thicker, add a tablespoon of flour to the mixture. This is so delicious... perfect for first time pie makers or expert pros! Enjoy!
Top Review by dolores in paradise
I have never been able to make a good pie crust...but this crust rolled with such ease it was even fun and oh so flaky and good taste. anyone afraid of crust..this is a must try..filling was excellent also..thank you recipezaar..
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, white
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled & sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For crust,combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knifes until mixture is uniform.
- Add water; toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into 2 parts.
- On lightly floured surface,roll bottom crust into circle 1/8" thick and about 1 1/2" larger than inverted 9" pie plate.
- Gently, ease dough into pie plate,being careful not to stretch dough.
- Trim edge even with pie plate.
- For apple filling:Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Stir until mixed well.
- Spoon into unbaked pie shell.
- Use remaining half of dough to roll top crust,as instructed for bottom crust.
- Lift onto filled pie.
- Trim 1/2" beyond edge of pie plate.
- Fold top edge under bottom crust;flute as desired.
- Cut slits or design in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush top crust with milk;sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until crust in golden brown.
- Cool and serve .