Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adopted this recipe during the Recipezaar abandoned recipe adoption. I made this the next day and it is so delicious! The crust is so easy to work with and has great flavor! If you like your apple juices to be a little thicker, add a tablespoon of flour to the mixture. This is so delicious... perfect for first time pie makers or expert pros! Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, white
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled & sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For crust,combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knifes until mixture is uniform.
- Add water; toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into 2 parts.
- On lightly floured surface,roll bottom crust into circle 1/8" thick and about 1 1/2" larger than inverted 9" pie plate.
- Gently, ease dough into pie plate,being careful not to stretch dough.
- Trim edge even with pie plate.
- For apple filling:Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Stir until mixed well.
- Spoon into unbaked pie shell.
- Use remaining half of dough to roll top crust,as instructed for bottom crust.
- Lift onto filled pie.
- Trim 1/2" beyond edge of pie plate.
- Fold top edge under bottom crust;flute as desired.
- Cut slits or design in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush top crust with milk;sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until crust in golden brown.
- Cool and serve .
I have never been able to make a good pie crust...but this crust rolled with such ease it was even fun and oh so flaky and good taste. anyone afraid of crust..this is a must try..filling was excellent also..thank you recipezaar..
This was my very first apple pie baking experience.It was easy and it tasted great.I made it last night and there is none left(12 hrs. later)I didnt change a thing,used a combonation of Rome and Granny Smith apples.Wonderful!Thanks for posting.
Used Pillsbury premade crust, and 8 cups of chopped apples in place of 6, because of time and surplus, but have to say this recipe was one of the best recipes I have ever made... it is definitely a keeper...thanks for sharing.