Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
You haven't tried pumpkin at its finest until you've tried this rich bread pudding. This is best served warm but no one will complain if you serve this cold as well.
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream (whole or 2%) or 1 1⁄2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 1⁄2 cups white bread, no crusts, 3/4 inch thick
- 6 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- whipped cream
- Whisk the eggs and yolks in large mixing bowl; whisk in the light cream or milk, sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, salt and spices. Add the bread cubes and toss to dampen. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Butter six 1-cup custard cups or oven proof baking dishes. Divide the batter evenly among them, sprinkle with chocolate chips, then spread 1-2 tsps brown sugar over each.
- Place the cups in a shallow baking pan and pour hot water into the pan until it is halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. When done, the puddings will be puffy and golden brown on top and soft in the center, but with no uncooked custard visible. Transfer the cups to a cooling rack and cool for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.