Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
These are so much better then the store bought version. Prep time includes rising time.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄4 ounces dry active yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Place warm water in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast over the water. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Scald the milk and butter until the butter is melted, add yeast mixture, then add beaten egg.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt. Add 2 cups to the liquid mixture and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon. Add remaining dry ingredients, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough come together.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 5-8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- To make a dozen buns, divide dough into 12 equal pieces approx 3 oz each. For larger buns divide dough into 6 pieces, using 6 oz of dough. Roll each piece into a tight ball and roll the ball into a rope about 6-8 inches long. Place the ropes of dough on a lined and lightly greased baking sheet. Let rise in warm place for 30 minute.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.