Recipe by Hill Family
These are great for Valentines Day or any day you want to surprise your sweetheart, like Ila does Bert!!
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1⁄4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
Filling and Topping
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- hot fudge
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- To make biscuits: In a food processor with the metal blade or in a medium bowl with a fork or pasty blender, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, salt and sugar. Add butter and pulse/mix until it’s the consistency of coarse meal. Add chocolate or peanut butter chips and buttermilk. Then mix until moistened and dough begins to hold together. Do not make into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board, dough will be sticky. Knead 5 times and pat into a 1 inch thick circle. Cut out 4 biscuits with a floured 2” heart shaped cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
- Hull and quarter the strawberries, toss with sugar and set aside.
- Whip the whipping cream into soft peaks form. Add sour cream, sugar and vanilla, beating until soft peaks form.
- To assemble: split the biscuits. Place the bottom half on the plate and top with berries and cream. Place the half biscuit on top. Drizzle with fudge sauce and serve immediately.