Italian Linguine & Pesto Sauce with Fruit of the Sea… need I say more! The al dente Linguine is tossed with a nice green pesto sauce, chopped olives & pimento… then “topped off” with a medley of seafood in a garlic butter sauce. It is also created to be given as a “Food Gift” for wonderful friends, relatives, a “home bound” older person, a family in need during the winter holiday season. That is, thankful for food on their table starting on Thanksgiving Day and throughout the holiday season. Also, you are the “Chef of the Day” for this extra special “Food Gift.”
- 1 lb linguine, fresh package
- 8 littleneck clams, scrubbed clean
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, pell off skin, devein shrimp (8 (or more)
- 1⁄2 lb scallops, medium size (8 (or more)
- 1 lb seafood salad (calamari, shrimp, squid, surimi or lobster meat found in the appetizer section)
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can clams, chopped (do not open, Roland brand)
- 1 (3 ounce) jar pesto sauce
- 1 (5 3/4 ounce) jar pimento stuffed olives, chopped (drained weight)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- basil leaves
- Italian bread, sliced (warm when serving) (optional)
- Keep the fresh linguine package set aside in the refrigerator.
- In an aluminum tin place the seafood (shrimp, scallops, clams, seafood mix) cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In several small plastic containers and cover with plastic wrap:.
- 1 container- add the chopped garlic, white wine vinegar, oregano, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix all, set aside in the refrigerator.
- 1 container- add 2 tablespoons butter set aside in the refrigerator.
- 1 container- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil set aside.
- Option- a few basil leaves for decoration, sliced Italian bread, place all in a plastic zip lock bag and set aside in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready for your “Visit” and present your gift (within 2 hours after removing food from refrigerator) place all into a shopping bag and then gift wrap in holiday wrapping paper and don’t forget to attach a nice gift card as well (all the above optional).
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Open the can of chopped clams, drain and retain the clam juice and set aside.
- In a bowl add the little neck clams in its shells, 4 tablespoons water, a pinch of salt (or a little dry white wine/clam juice option) cover with microwave plastic wrap.
- Then microwave the clams for 1 minute (the clams should have opened up but not over cooked), set aside.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil, add ½ tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil and then add the fresh linguine, use a fork to separate the strands and cook for 2 minutes to “al dente” (or cook according to package instructions) DO NOT OVER COOK.), drain.
- Immediately, add back the drained linguine to the pot, add the chopped clams, add the pesto sauce, the copped olives and pimento and toss to coat, set aside (cove to keep warm).
- In a large teflon pan (or other pan), add 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons butter and cook for 30 seconds, then add the garlic mixture for about 1 minute.
- Next add the uncooked seafood to the pan, stir until the shrimp has a pink color (do not overcook the food).
- Then add the already bought seafood mix, the steamed clams, the reserved clam juice and stir fry for about a minute, remove from stove top and set aside.
- In 4 individual serving bowls/plates add the linguine pesto mixture, then add on top some of the seafood from the pan, drizzle a little olive oil on top (optional) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (optional), add a basil leave on the inside of the bowl/plate for decoration and serve with warm Italian bread.
- Enjoy, “Divertasi !”.
- 1) The Instructions are overwhelming to some especially the "Preparation Step" (based on the contest requirements as a gift). However, you can simple take all the ingredients over to a home and cook. Or invite people over to your home and make the recipe.
- 2) Next time I would try and improve on this recipe by thickening the sauce a little (flour, corn starch, cream) -- That is, when the seafood is in the pan and having the sauce stick to the ingredients.