1/1 Photo of Il Fornello Roast Ontario Apple Salad
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This is one of a series of intriguing apple recipes I saw in the Toronto Star. The original recipe by executive chef Owen Steinberg uses Henry of Pelham baco noir, Persall Naturals canola oil, and Essence of Niagara baco noir balsamic vinegar and maple vinegar. Toronto Star food editor Jennifer Bain used balsamic vinegar instead of baco noir balsamic vinegar. President's Choice makes maple balsamic vinegar. One or both sauces can be omitted if you prefer. I haven't made this yet so preparation and cooking times are all guess-timates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
BACO BALSAMIC GLAZE
- 1/2 cup maple vinegar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 shallot, peeled and halved
ROAST APPLE SALAD
- 1BACO BALSAMIC GLAZE:.
- 2In small saucepan on medium heat, reduce the wint to 1/4 cup.
- 3Add Vinegar, onion, honey and bay leaf.
- 4Cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup.
- 5Strain onions and bay leaf.
- 6Refrigerate in a squirt bottle until ready to use.
- 7Try to remove from fridge 1 hour before using.
- 8MAPLE VINAIGRETTE:.
- 9In small saucepan, reduce vinegar to 1/3 cup over medium heat.
- 10Stir in oil, sugar, salt, pepper and shallot.
- 11Refrigerate in a squirt bottle until ready to use.
- 12ROAST APPLE SALAD:.
- 13Cook bacon over medium heat until nearly crisp (about 80 % cooked).
- 14Drain on paper towels.
- 15Cut each slice in half.
- 16Core and peel apples and cut each into 4 thick rings. (Can't be done ahead).
- 17Season each with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 18Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high.
- 19Add apple rings.
- 20Drizzle each with 1 tsp honey.
- 21Cook 2 minutes per side, until golden.(If the heat isn't high enough, the apples will turn to mush).
- 22Transfer 4 apple rings to a baking sheet.
- 23Arrange 4 pieces of bacon on each apple slice, leaving the core area open.
- 24Top each with 1 tablespoons of cheddar.
- 25In the upper third of the oven, broil on high for 2 minutes.
- 26Top each ring with the remaining apple rings to make sandwiches.
- 27Divide spinach over centre of 4 plates.
- 28Top each with an apple sandwich stack.
- 29Drizzle Baco Balsamic Glaze around the rim of each plate (about 1 tsp or to taste).
- 30Drizzle Maple vinaigrette over each apple stack (also about 1 tsp or to taste).
- 31Refrigerate remaining glaze and vinaigrette for other uses.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Il Fornello Roast Ontario Apple Salad
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 816.2
- Calories from Fat 630
- Total Fat 70.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 54.7 mg
- Sodium 665.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 8.3 g